I love this recipe for so many reasons. It’s easy, it’s flexible, it’s virtually impossible to mess up. I recommended it to a friend for her son’s birthday party recently and she absolutely loved it. So if a mother of three boys under three thinks it’s easy to make, then pretty much anyone can do it.
Not Just Any Pizza Bread
Recipe type: Breads & sides
- Bread dough (buy a bag from just about any supermarket bakery).
- Marinara sauce (either buy ready made in a jar, or just blend a tin of Ishibo (tomato and onion mix everywhere else in the world) with a clove of garlic, a teaspoon of dried origano and salt and pepper).
- Basil pesto (and / or bacon, feta, sundried tomatoes, chorizo, caramelised onions or whatever else blows your hair back.).
- A cup of grated cheese.
- 250ml cream, seasoned with salt and pepper
- On a floured surface, roll out the bread dough to roughly 8mm thick.
- Smear the marinara sauce over the dough, stopping about 2cm from the edge. If this is starting to sound suspiciously like a pizza, then you’re doing it right.
- Add the rest of your toppings and pour over the grated cheese.
- Starting at one end, roll the dough into a sausage. Cut into 1.5cm thick slices and arrange the spirals in a single layer in a baking dish.
- At this point you can allow it to rise, or you can go straight to baking it. Pour the cream over the bread and bake in a 180°C oven for about 35 minutes.