Yes, I know, this is a terrible photo. The rainbow assault from the colours in the table cloth completely overwhelms the food, which is supposed to be the star. The lines on the cloth are so skew that you’re probably clawing at your screen trying to straighten them. The proportions are wrong. It looks like a unicorn exploded all over the place. You can hardly tell what you’re eating. It’s just bad. But I need cheering up today and something about this photo is immensely cheering to me. And so is this salad (as are all salads that fatten you up faster than a jelly doughnut). The combination of the creamy Gorgonzola, the warm, salty bacon on the cool, crisp lettuce and the sweet, sharp dressing is so simple, but really, really delicious. It hits all the spots. Or at least, it hits all my spots. I was really happy with how the dressing came out – proof once again that pretty much everything on this planet tastes better with a dollop of mayo.
Bacon & Blue Cheese Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
Recipe type: Salad
- For the honey mustard dressing:
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 60ml white wine vinegar
- 15ml Dijon Mustard
- 40ml honey
- 15ml Japanese mayo (Or any good stuff. You don’t want the sharp eggy-ness of a cheap one here.)
- 2ml salt
- For the salad:
- 300g lettuce
- 250g bacon, fried and chopped
- 100g Gorgonzola or cremezola (preferably something mild and creamy and not too sharp)
- One avo, cut into cubes
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing together and set aside.
- Toss all the ingredients for the salad together and serve with the dressing. For a more substantial meal, just bung the whole lot in a tortilla wrap.